Wednesday, March 4, 2015

On showing restraint and keeping composure

I suck at this in my personal life.  Professionally I can handle most off the wall things that are thrown my way but personally, my restraint is reportedly nonexistent.  It's something I've been trying to be mindful of and work on, and admittedly some times are easier than others.  Most of this poor restraint it should be noted, is in telling people exactly how I feel whether this information was solicited or not.  Its one of the reasons why many years ago I read a lot on the Buddhist way of thinking and found that I thought it was on to something.  Well, let me be one to tell you its much easier read than done.  Recently I've come to the conclusion I should renew my focus on those texts because I've lost sight of their core principles I think.  If you want something to change, the only thing you can actually change is yourself and that's hard enough.  Engaging in fruitless efforts to change someone or something else directly will only be met with a series of defeats, arguments, and overwhelming frustration.  Of course I realize that all of that is much more easier written down than it is actually implementing in your life, especially in the moment when your knee jerk reaction is to be like, "Oh hold up, what.the.F".  This approach has yet to provide an actual example of turning out positively for the person who said what the F.  Hopefully you develop some sort of cathartic hobby to engage in to help you with this.  I'm currently looking in to it.  If you find something before I do, help a sister out and let me know whats up. 

I'd write more on this topic but I've got a bunch of work to do and errands to run before I pick you and your sister up.  I love you guys so so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.